Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Chashmal



Artist’s web site: Chashmal.com

Album can be previewed/purchased Here

Reviewer: Mindy


Okay, so today all day I listened to Chashmal. And I'm finally going to write my review!!!
The first time I listened to it I had to gasp for air. I thought I had put on an FM radio that was playing Hebrew music!!!!! But the second time I listened to it I loved it instantly. Yes, this album is definitely not the usual yeshivishe sound. But then again, isn't this what Chashmal was set out to be? When people claimed that the Chevra was goyishe music, they were way off base, b/c that's not what the Chevra intended to be. When someone purchases Chashmal, on the other hand, they know what they are in for. This tape replicates the secular music sound, with a very heimishe flavor.
The music is fantastic -- I love electronic music and I think the musical arrangements on this album are more than cool. the vocals are astounding -- Michael Elias has a range I've never heard in my life. Being that he has an extensive background in the non-Jewish music world, it is very apparent in his singing. But I love the way he sings, and his harmonies are unbelievable.
Who this album is NOT for:
~ someone who ONLY can stomach Yeshivishe MBD/williger/miami music
~ someone who thinks the Chevra is goyishe music -- if you think the Chevra crossed a boundary then this is certainly not hte type of tape for you.
Who this album IS for:
~ People who are ready for a change and can swallow a 'different' kind of beat.
~ People who like 'alternative' Chasidic music like Glaser, Karduner, Sarachik, etc.
~ People who are into secular music.
Who can BENEFIT greatly from this tape:
~ People who love secular music. If someone NEEDS to have his or her musical needs satiated by a rocky and jazzy sound, then listening to Chashmal instead of FM radio is a wonderful thing. This album has the potential of turning many teens back on to Jewish Music.
Now, on to the tracks themselves:
My absolute favorite, hands down, is Hazmana (track 7). I LOVE it! It's so different -- text from a weddign invitation? How creative! The beat is fantastic.
Second favorite is ribono Shel Olam (9), the sefardi sounding song. It's not as secular sounding as some other songs, and I love the message of it. The harmonies are super.
Other favorites: Me'eyn Olam Haba (1), Asher Bara (2), which I think has potential of being a wedding hora and actually sounds pretty yeshivish, (4) Lakol, (5) Sim Shalom, (6) Shivti, (8) Talmidei Chachamim -- a remake of a David Werdyger classic which is redone very well and sounds very yeshivish.
I like 8 out of 11 tracks, not bad!
So this is THE "Chashmal" I've been waiting for, for so long... and I am glad I made this purchase!
MINDY the Music Critic
****


1-MAYAIN OLAM HABO- COMPOSED BY AFF3. I LIKE THIS ONE. GOOD TUNE MUSIC IS GREAT. HARMONYS ARE FANTASTIC.
2-ASHER BORO- GREAT HORA. ROCKY BUT STILL WITH YESHIVISHE SOUNDS.(OY OYOY) I CAN JUST PICTURE MICHOEL SCHINTZLER DOING A FANTASTIC JOB ON IT , AND PPLE WHO REALLY LIKE TO LIVE IT UP AT WEDDINGS, WILL LOVE THIS.
3-SHIRU LAHASHEM- GREAT HARMONIES. THOUGH IM NOT CRAZY OVER THE SONG. HALF THE SONG IS DONE IN SEFARDI HAVARA AND HALF IN REGULAR.
4-LAKOL- GOOD SONG . SOUNDS LIKE A YISHAI LAPIDOT COMPOSITION.
5- SIM SHALOM- NOT CRAZY OVER THIS ONE. AND I DONT LIKE WHAT THEY DO WITH THE VOICES HERE.
6- SHIVTI- GREAT SLOW SONG. I LIKE IT.
7- HAZMANA- INTERESTING WORDS. ALTHOUGH TUNE IS GREAT. THIS IS DONE IN HEBREW ACCENT, WHICH IS A GOOD IDEA CUZ I CANNOT PICTURE THE YESHIVESHE TRIO DOING THIS..
8-OMAR- TOOK A CLASSIC OLD TUNE AND MODERNIZED IT GREAT JOB FANTASTIC HARMONIES
9-RIBONO SHEL OLAM- NOT CRAZY OVER THIS SONG. ALTHOUGH I LIKE THE INTERLUDE WHEN SOMEONE DOES A REAL SEFARDI SHTICK. YOULL KNOW WHAT I MEAN IF YOU HEARD IT.
10- M'ARBA- DONT LIKE IT
11- HAVDALA- GREAT SONG. SOUNDS LIKE A REAL SHLOMO CARLEBACH CLASSIC HIT.

THEY GOT SOME GREAT VOICES THERE. I LOVE THE SOPRANO VOICE. WHICH I ASSUME IS MICHAEL ELIAS. WOW! GREAT RANGE.
WONDER IF THIS ALBUM IS GONNA START A NEW TREND IN JM?????




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home